The blood transfusion department provides the following services to patients and clinicians of the Rotunda Hospital:
- Antenatal group and screen on booking samples for the presence of irregular agglutinins and identification of RhD negative patients
- Provision of an RAADP scheme to RhD negative antenatal patients
- Aid in the prenatal diagnosis and monitoring of Haemolytic Disease of the Fetus /Newborn.
- An intrauterine blood transfusion programme
- Issue of blood and blood products to neonatal and adult patients
- Estimation of fetal maternal haemorrhage using flow cytometery
- Consultant advisory services
The department is accredited to the International Standard ISO 15189 and complies with the regulations, policies, and terms and conditions of both the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB) and with the Minimum Requirements for Blood Bank Compliance with Article 14 (Traceability) and Article 15 (Notification of Serious Adverse Reactions and Events) of EU Directive 2002/98/EC. The laboratory also submits an annual report to the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) under the EU Blood Directive 2002/98/EC.
Clinical Medical Team
Dr Fionnuala Ni Aine (contact)
Dr Melanie Cotter (contact)
Medical Scientific Team
Chief: Deirdre Murphy (contact)
Haemovigilance Officer: Siobhan Enright (contact)
Senior: Deirdre O'Neill (contact)
Senior Medical Scientist:/Senior Haemovigilance: Emily Forde (contact)
Download the extensive test repertoire here.